Thank you again for the opportunity to participate in the 2015 Denver MS Fitness Challenge. Thank you to Colorado’s Pro Gym for the use of your awesome facility. Thank you to Polar Products and to all of the vendors who sponsor and support MSFC events. And a special thank you to Stephanie Campana who trained me, pushed me and laughed with and sometimes AT me. She taught me how to exercise and work out properly and to push myself well beyond just the first few reps. You are ALL an inspiration.
The benefits that I obtained by participating in the Challenge include:
- Improved physical strength with key areas in lower and core body
- Improved overall body fitness
- Improved balance – I may not be walking on a tight rope yet but I am more stable on stairs, ladders and while walking in general.
- Increased endurance and abilities during daily activities (noticed and acknowledged by my family)
- I can walk farther without getting fatigued or experiencing “foot drop”
- I can work out longer and harder
- I “recover“ more quickly after strenuous activities
- I no longer have to always plan my daily activities based on my anticipated fatigue be it from overheating or from too much activity
- I am more emotionally and physically stable
- I am able to run very short distances – I used to run a lot pre-MS
For me, remaining active and in motion are the best ways to manage and stay ahead of my MS symptoms and challenges. As a result of the MS Fitness Challenge, exercise and regular activity are part of my lifestyle.
I can’t stress enough how meaningful it is to have support from both those with MS and from those without it.